AAL or No AAL?

Discuss everything from upper and lower control arms (UCA and LCA), struts, coilovers, lift kits, lowering kits, shocks, front and rear sway bars, etc. These components dictate how your truck handles for both on and off road surfaces.
ProfBrown

AAL or No AAL?

Post by ProfBrown » Sat Nov 17, 2018 12:16 pm

In my opinion yes in just about all instances. This is such a cheap mod for the 1500 trucks, and it drastically increases ride characteristics. Added bonus of slight raise in height, they claim around .5-1 inch of rear lift, mine settled at what seems to be around .75 of an inch of lift. Also drastically increased ride quality, most noticeably over wash boarded roads keeping the tire from bouncing like crazy and scooting your ass around. In my opinion, the GM 1500 trucks are a tad under-sprung front and rear from the factory. Specifically in the rear this AAL helps keep the main 2 leafs off of the overload leaf which gives you that jarring and bumpy ride. With the added space and slightly increased spring rate the truck immediately will ride better, couple that with a decent shock (say a Bilstein 5100 or Fox 2.0 or other mid tier 2.0 shock) and it will ride better than you thought possible for what you spent getting it there. I suppose another bonus would likely be increased hauling capacity as with the slight lift it would take more weight to make your truck squat as much (I would guess only a couple hundred pounds?) It is a semi involved mod, but easy. Instructions are great and no need for more than 2 sets of hands as long as you have the tools the instructions say you need (the most important is big c clamps about 8" for GM 1500 trucks).

The few reasons I would say no to this mod is if you don't want too much of a stink bug stance say if you never leveled your truck and left it almost all stock, or you just don't want to mess with your ride at all.
2013 GMC Sierra 1500
Corsa Cat back back video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hVgoXsFdloA

CritterSnicker

Re: AAL or No AAL?

Post by CritterSnicker » Mon Nov 19, 2018 1:53 pm

I'm a big fan of adding a leaf spring on a 1500 GM truck as well. More so because of the functionality aspect. (yeah sure, extra height is nice too) But yeah... Its not just GM trucks only but all 1/2 ton trucks squat hard without hauling much in the bed or towing anywhere close to factory rating. An AAL is certainly a way to mitigate that characteristic.

I couldn't imagine not having the extra leaf now. When you use your truck like a truck, this mod makes a nice difference. Furthermore, unlike the OP...I believe it makes the ride a bit more harsh. Not enough to really whine about and uninstall the leaf but certainly enough to be noticeable.
"The price of freedom is eternal vigilance" - Thomas Jefferson

ProfBrown

Post by ProfBrown » Wed Nov 21, 2018 4:55 pm

This depends on the AAL from what I can tell as well. Some are more geared towards helping a half ton squat less, the Zone AAL like I have seems to be more so for ride comfort in addition to the slight mitigation of squatting. I know other AAL styles are adjuatable as well which is a nice feature and can help squat and control ride all in one with some very easy and minor adjustments.
2013 GMC Sierra 1500
Corsa Cat back back video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hVgoXsFdloA

OnlyinaChevy

Post by OnlyinaChevy » Sun Nov 25, 2018 4:00 pm

I didn't use the AAL on mine when I did the lift. And although I only use my truck to tow U-haul trailers across the US, I really didn't see the point in going with one. However, from my understanding, if you are constantly using the truck as it was meant to be used, such as towing your brush hog from one property to the next or dragging your TT from campsite to campsite, then the AAL is probably a better bet for you.
Tact is for people who aren’t witty enough to use sarcasm.
Tell me how I have upset you, because I want to know how to do it again.

CritterSnicker

Post by CritterSnicker » Tue Nov 27, 2018 7:41 am

Its def not a must even if you haul, tow, whatever. But before the extra leaf.... it didn't take much to make the rear of the truck squat pretty hard. Every year I, at the very least, haul several loads of wood piled as high as I can get it in the bed. I'm able to do this with out the bump stops touching the axle. That would not be the case if I didn't have the AAL.

I guess the bonus is the little bit of lift produced by the AAL puts the rake back into the truck when you level the front.
"The price of freedom is eternal vigilance" - Thomas Jefferson

09chevyman

Post by 09chevyman » Fri Nov 30, 2018 1:19 pm

Well look at that...
I would never take the AAL off this one..plus I done the unthinkable and added a set of 2500 helper springs on top as well. Boys she's stiff. LMAO.