electric windows

Problems with electrical can seem intimidating and time consuming. Talk about blown fuses, other non-working electrical parts, how to fish wires for additional components including trailer harnesses and new mirrors.
S&H (NotGreenStamps)

electric windows

Post by S&H (NotGreenStamps) » Thu Oct 11, 2018 4:14 pm

I just went to Sonic and everything was great. Rolled down my drivers window (cause that's the side I sit on when I drive) and ordered some of those new footlong cheese steaks with tater tots and a big route 44 cherry coke. Anyways all was good until I got my order and went to roll up the window. I was met with a crackling grinding like sound and the window was very slow rolling up and stopped about a quarter of the way up. Sounded like sand or gravel rustiling around or something. It's supposed to rain pretty hard in a bit with that shitty tropical storm on the way so I tried pulling up on the window with no luck.
I just had to keep pushing it to go down a little then up a little and it finally got all the way up.
WTF
I guess I'll take the door panel off this weekend and have a look. Hopefully I don't need a new motor or some shit.
Any ideas, comments or just statements? I mean about the window but if you like Sonic too then that's ok.

At least things on this truck are pretty inexpensive. Looking to get this https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0048 ... 0DER&psc=1

CritterSnicker

Re: electric windows

Post by CritterSnicker » Fri Oct 12, 2018 12:18 pm

yeah, I've heard the same audible failure on a couple of different GM vehicles when the window regulator/motor was failing. One was my old ImplalaSS, when I owned it. Another on a buddies OBS chevy truck. Really nothing more to say on the subject other than it is pretty common on ageing vehicles to have this happen. Its pretty easy fix replacing the old reg/motor if you've got common sense and basic hand tools. Also, make sure you get some extra GM door clips because you will undoubtedly break a couple removing and replacing the door panel.

Sonic is cool. Both the video game character and the fast food restaurant. I'd recommend getting the rings in either game or restaurant.
"The price of freedom is eternal vigilance" - Thomas Jefferson

S&H (NotGreenStamps)

Post by S&H (NotGreenStamps) » Fri Oct 12, 2018 4:03 pm

I've had the door panel off 5 or 6 times and never broke a clip. I don't even think it has clips from what I remember, except on a couple of trim pieces.
Unfortunately the part won't be here this weekend or I'd fix it. I might still take off the door panel this weekend just to have a look.

Went to go to Sonic after work for a drink and then remembered my shitty window wouldn't roll down so I had to go home first and get the Impala and then complete my quest. What a pain in the Neal.

silentbravo

Post by silentbravo » Tue Oct 16, 2018 7:34 pm

Sounds like the gears stripped in the motor/regulator. I just had my passenger window motor completely apart, the main gear was plastic but the worm gear was steel at least. This was on an NBS, not sure how the NNBS are.

S&H (NotGreenStamps)

Post by S&H (NotGreenStamps) » Tue Oct 16, 2018 8:30 pm

I have the NBS. The electric motor/regulator is supposed to be delivered tomorrow.
In a moment of stupidity Monday night when I got home I decided to spray some water on the window maybe washing away some crap in the rail. Well it didn't work and now I can't get it all the way rolled back up :oops:
It is up far enough where the vent visors should keep any rain away. 50% chance of rain Wednesday and Saturday. I should have just left it alone. :lol:

S&H (NotGreenStamps)

Post by S&H (NotGreenStamps) » Fri Oct 19, 2018 5:39 pm

Got home from work and started on installing the new regulator/motor assembly around 5PM and got done about 6PM.
It took a little longer due to also fixing the door speaker wires being corroded as hell. The cables were all split and frayed and is what I was hearing when trying to roll it up or down.

Anyways IT WORKS!
Window is going up and down faster than ever before and my front driver speaker sounds loud and clear again.
I think if I had to do it again I may be able to do it in half the time. Very easy job.

I drove to Sonic with the radio blasting some AC/DC and rolling my window up and down to celebrate. I got a route 44 cherry coke for myself and a medium cherry vanilla coke for the wife. Good times.