Good AT Tire Recommendation

Discussions for height and width of wheels and tires, styles of wheels and patterns of tires that work well with your driving tendencies or the needs for driving in your region of the US and the world.
ProfBrown

Good AT Tire Recommendation

Post by ProfBrown » Sun Oct 14, 2018 11:21 am

Personally I am a fan of the Wildpeak AT3Ws. Currently running a 315/70/17 on my truck with no complaints on grip or wear. I paid $230 a tire in that size when I got mine in March. Now they have just over 20k on them and they still look pretty dang new. Other AT tires to recommend include the Toyo AT2. From what I hear its a great tire to run, but very pricey compared to the Wildpeak AT3Ws. Another that has good reviews that I hear about is the Dynapro ATM, this tire I am not a fan of the looks but I hear they wear like iron, ride well and don't look half bad (just in my opinion others look better).
2013 GMC Sierra 1500
Corsa Cat back back video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hVgoXsFdloA

S&H (NotGreenStamps)

Re: Good AT Tire Recommendation

Post by S&H (NotGreenStamps) » Sun Oct 14, 2018 1:11 pm

Best thing to do when shopping for tires is not to go by how pretty they are. Instead check out reviews and see how they handle the weather and terrain you will be mainly driving in.

ProfBrown

Post by ProfBrown » Sun Oct 14, 2018 1:39 pm

I full heartedly agree. There are tires that have just as good of reviews as the Dynapro ATMs, but look better. Those are the tires I went with, the Falken Wildpeak AT3W.
2013 GMC Sierra 1500

bigcountry2022

Post by bigcountry2022 » Sun Oct 14, 2018 4:38 pm

I'm currently running Yokohama Geolandar A/T-S in the LT285/70 varietym at $171.01 each while they were still offered on Tire Rack. Tyre's are whisper quiet on pavement, handles damn good in wet conditions, including snow. Although not as flashy as other all-terrains, they still look pretty good.

OnlyinaChevy

Post by OnlyinaChevy » Sun Oct 14, 2018 8:59 pm

My choice for tires was strictly purchased from the reviews I found on Tirerack. I was searching for a tire that I could run on my truck for those drives from Oklahoma to Oregon year round. I also wanted something I could use so that I wouldn't have to put chains on the tires in the event of a "Snow Zone" where drivers are required to carry chains. However, if you have "Traction Tires", then you don't have to use chains.
I guarantee, had I had less of a tire in November of 2011, I wouldn't have even attempted my Thanksgiving trip to be with family. It rained, then snowed in excess of 5" during my drive between Denver and Grand Junction that day and my tires stuck to the road surface like glue.

At that time, I had Goodyear Duratrac 295/65/18s. (now I'm running 325/65/18s)

As far as the reviews went, Duratracs get awesome reviews on wear, dry pavement and snow. Their reviews for wet pavement aren't terrible, but they are not as high as the snow. At the time when I was looking, they had between 4.3 and 4.6 on everything but wet pavement traction where they only had about 3.9 out of 5. For all practical purposes, having this information ahead of time allows the driver to adjust driving habits during times of inclement weather. That being said, I normally drive right at or 5 mph below the speed limit during hard rains. And yeah, if everyone is going 20 mph in the snow, then I'm doing 25 to 30 mph. I'm not lying these tires ROCK in the snow.

As an added bonus, these tires at the sizes that I've bought them do not have a mileage guarantee. I know what you are thinking....I said "bonus". Well, my 295/65/18s went for about 65,000 miles. My 325/65/18s were purchased at 89,000 miles and I have 150,000 miles on the truck now.

***FYI, when looking at reviews, only use comparisons for your model. That is to say, if you own a Silverado, don't base your decision on Tahoes, F-150s and Jeeps. Go by the reviews of all Silverados like yours. Don't even base it on the reviews of a 2500 if you own a 1500.***
Tact is for people who aren’t witty enough to use sarcasm.
Tell me how I have upset you, because I want to know how to do it again.

ProfBrown

Post by ProfBrown » Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:53 am

Last part of the post above is extremely important.

My rig is a 2013 GMC Sierra 1500 2wd with around 6 inches of lift sitting a little Cali lean/ Prerunner.
2013 GMC Sierra 1500

CritterSnicker

Post by CritterSnicker » Thu Oct 18, 2018 12:47 pm

I'm on my second set of BFG K02s (275/70/18) (2011 Silverado LT 4WD) and they impressed well enough to buy a second set. The only other decent A/T I had to compare to was the Duratracs on my other truck (93 1500). The Duratracs are a solid options but the ride was never near as good. They are also quite a bit noisier than the K02s. Had a cheapo set of Mastercraft A/Ts on the old chebby before the Duratracs.... absolute shit tire and don't last very long.

I highly recco the K02s. They are generally a touch on the pricey side compared to other options but are worth the money, IMO. I've never encountered such a good all around tire. They are quiet, ride good, last longer than most A/Ts, and the traction is very good in anything you can throw at them. You mentioned looks too and I understand that is the last thing one should consider but it does help that the K02s are a very attractive tire.

I'll be buying yet another set here in a couple years. Think I paid right around $235 a piece from DiscountTireWarehouse.com

My tire guy always mentions how nice they balance too. Thought I'd mention that tid bit as well since all things are considered when making this type of purchase.
"The price of freedom is eternal vigilance" - Thomas Jefferson

Brofessor

Post by Brofessor » Tue Oct 30, 2018 12:12 pm

I absolutely Love my KO2s. They've been amazing in mud, snow, and on gravel. But I'm seriously considering buying Duratracs for the new truck this week. They are on sale at Discount Tire, for under $900 for the set.

S&H (NotGreenStamps)

Post by S&H (NotGreenStamps) » Tue Oct 30, 2018 4:45 pm

I drive a little bit on mud every day and the Michelin Defender tires I have on the truck handle it with no problem.

CritterSnicker

Post by CritterSnicker » Wed Oct 31, 2018 10:21 am

"A little bit on mud everyday" AKA I pull the truck in the yard next to my driveway. :P
"The price of freedom is eternal vigilance" - Thomas Jefferson