Coilover Sound Off!

Discuss everything from upper and lower control arms (UCA and LCA), struts, coilovers, lift kits, lowering kits, shocks, front and rear sway bars, etc. These components dictate how your truck handles for both on and off road surfaces.
CritterSnicker

Re: Coilover Sound Off!

Post by CritterSnicker » Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:52 pm

ProfBrown wrote:
Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:41 pm
No need to bag on Neal, while what he did I would not consider a coilover, he is still messing with his truck just like us and tinkering because of it being fun.
Never really a need but its like hitting the broad side of a barn with a .22 @ 20yds.... Besides, I'm far from the only one and the owner doesn't take issue with it as he partakes himself from time to time ;)
"The price of freedom is eternal vigilance" - Thomas Jefferson

King Ricka

Post by King Ricka » Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:19 pm

ProfBrown wrote:
Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:13 am
https://atomicfabandperformance.com/pro ... r-package/

Here is how you find out! Not a bad price for good coilovers and the brakets considering bigger names in the shock scene alone are a minimum of that much just for the shocks. Ricka on ss is running this kit on his truck.. His, however, is a torsion bar to coilover swap so his ride quality was likely increased much more than a standard coil to coilover swap. Also makes your truck a talking point at any meets or simply at the pump. I daily drive mine and coilovers were worth the cost. I do not know how well this kit compares to a stock height or leveled 2wd truck of that gen, but I am going to bet it would ride better.
I do have that kit from Atomic. Great guy to work, Richard is. I did have one issue with a shock that busted, but we determined a spacer was installed wrong, and it just took time to make it slowly wear away and then pop, snap, and I got lucky driving it all didn't shoot out as I moved.. I limped it home, and would up replacing both shocks, and a couple of other pieces that got damaged when it went out...including the outer TRE I just replaced the week before...grr..

Anyway, I have Viking shocks with a fair amount of travel, more than the arms can allow. The dual adjustment is very nice to control rebound and compression on their own respectively.. Also, during the repair, had a set of Cognito arms installed, giving me that little extra droop I needed..and not really going down anymore, just not slamming the arm on the old bump stop frame nub.. I could have cut it out, but then I'd have zero protection from absolute full droop...

Springs are from PAC Racing, and those are for 750#, which is about right for a 1/2 ton truck.

Overall, it is above and beyond better than a torsion bar setup for sure. I love the ride so much more, and the truck just looks damn nice...biased or not, I get a lot of looks from people at the gas station, even just driving by...

And as for bagging on others....I try not to be mean, but when someone continuously acts like a douchebag, they get what they ask for. From making up fake parts, to claiming to create new install methods because he used a different type of screw, to posting "deals"...and on top of all of that, complaining like a bitch about almost everyone...hell, he even PMs people to cry, and when Mods tell us they are sick of him, we know it's not just a select few that are sick of the pansy-ass pleasantries. But he's just so nice to the newbs, one even had to make a thread about how nice he is...

Excuse me...I just threw up a bit...

Anyway, coilovers.. yeah, I fucking love them...

CritterSnicker

Post by CritterSnicker » Wed Oct 10, 2018 1:44 pm

I just realized today that Bilstein has coilover offerings for GM trucks now. My first and only question would be.... what took you guys sofa king long?!
"The price of freedom is eternal vigilance" - Thomas Jefferson

ProfBrown

Post by ProfBrown » Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:29 pm

Are you talking about the 6112 series? Its not really a coilover in the sense that the Pro Comps or ViKing, King, or Fox are. They are about as much of a coilover as the Bilstein 5100s are in my understanding just running a different spring and a bigger shock body.
2013 GMC Sierra 1500
Corsa Cat back back video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hVgoXsFdloA